Lindt café at the centre of Sydney’s deadly siege to close after falling victim to the pandemic

December 15, 8.33am: Man Haron Monis entered the Lindt Cafe, ate chocolate cake and drank tea then moved to a table with a view of the whole cafe.

9.03am: Monis asked to speak to the manager and Tori Johnson joined him at the table. 

Mr Johnson told a staff member to get the keys and lock the doors, then Monis put on a vest and a bandanna before standing up and producing the gun.

Monis told the cafe he had a bomb and ordered everyone inside to move to the front of the cafe before forcing hostages to hold up a flag.

9.44am: Monis forced Mr Johnson to call triple-zero and tells police the cafe is under attack and there are bombs in Martin Place, Circular Quay and George Street (this was later proven to be false).

9.51am: Police arrive at the scene.

9.52am: Tactical operations unit acknowledge the emergency and head to the cafe.

12pm: Monis forced hostages to call media outlets around the country and act as his spokesperson.

Hostages called newsrooms at 2GB, Nine, Seven and Ten, as well as the ABC and News Corp.

He became furious when he realised his messages were not being broadcast by the media. 

3:37pm:  After six hours, hostages Stefan Balafoutis and John O’Brien asked to go to the toilet and tried their luck as opening the front door with a button at the base.

The men took their chance and sprinted to safety while Monis was focused on talking to hostages closer to him.

Shortly after, Lindt supervisor Paolo Vassallo, escaped through a fire door.

4:57pm: Two employees, Elly Chen and Bae Jieun, ran out of the cafe within seconds of each other.

Midnight: Shortly after midnight videos from inside the cafe were being uploaded to the internet. Four videos were uploaded in total.

December 16, 2am: Monis became agitated and shuffled around hostages, which is when seven hostages bolted for a door and kicked it down. 

The group was seen fleeing just minutes before police stormed the cafe with flash grenades and live ammunition.

The gunfight was over in just 30 seconds, before police and emergency officers were seen leaving the cafe with injured hostages.

Katrina Dawson was shot and paramedics tried their best to keep her alive but she died on the sidewalk.

Tori Johnson, cafe manager, was reportedly shot in the head by Monis during the siege.

Police managed to kill Monis as they stormed the cafe. 

Source link

Spread the love

Leave a Reply